- Is a document without content really a document?
- Is really everything which has meta data and content a document?
- Is there a real paper document involved in a given use case?
- Are there some real workflows with real persons those are handling real documents?
- What should the person know about the document?
But what's if the answer is 'No'. In my opinion we should then not use an ECM/DM system to store such data, even if we want to do it because it seems to be close because there is already one available. Just use a Database System (NoSQL or Relational, whatever the use cases are requiring) to store the data regarding the required data model. Be not brain-wahsed! Do not belive that ECM solves all your Data Management problems and the answers to the above questions will be often (but not every time):
- A document without content should be an object in a datbase (row, vertex, ...).
- Not everything which has meta data and content is really a document!